London County Hall London
About the London County Hall
London County Hall was built in 1911 by the architect Ralph Knott and served as the headquarters of the Greater London Council for 64 years. Knott designed the six-storey building in a spectacular Edwardian Boroque style and construction took 11 years, largely due to disruption during the First World War, in which Knott designed several Royal Air Force bases.
The building was officially opened in 1922 by King George V, with further construction of the building continuing into the 1930s. Air raid damage occurred throughout the Second World War, resulting in further construction work continuing until 1956. London County Hall was the home of the Greater London Council until 1986, when the government abolished the council.
After the GLC left London County Hall, it remained largely unused until the mid-1990s, when plans were put in place for London County Hall to be converted to an entertainment and residential complex, with a mixture of attractions, restaurants and hotels. London County Hall is now home to the Sea Life London Aquarium, Shrek's Adventure and the London Dungeon. The former council chamber is now used for a site-specific production of Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution, which opened to rave reviews in 2017.