St Martin's Theatre London
About the St Martin's Theatre
The St Martin's Theatre was built as a pair with the Ambassadors Theatre and opened in 1916. Tucked away in the Seven Dials area of the West End, the intimate venue was designed by renowned theatre architect W. G. R. Sprague in an English Georgian style. English Heritage gave the theatre a Grade II listing in 1973. The first production at the theatre was the world premiere of Edwardian musical comedy Houp La! starring Gertie Miller, one of the West End's most prominent performers in the early 20th century.
The St Martin's Theatre is best known for being the home of Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap, which holds the record for being the longest-running play in the world with over 27,000 performances taking place. The Mousetrap first opened in London at the Ambassadors Theatre in 1952, where it played for over 20 years before transferring to the St Martin's in 1974, and continues to play today. The play's 60th anniversary was marked with a special all-star performance, which included Miranda Hart, Hugh Bonneville and Julie Walters.