Theatre Royal BrightonBrighton
About the Theatre Royal Brighton
One of the country’s oldest working theatres, the Theatre Royal Brighton is a Grade II listed building originating in 1766. The Prince of Wales gave his Royal Assent to build the theatre in 1806, and the venue opened in 1807. Over the years numerous owners have abandoned the venue through fear of financial ruin, but 1854 saw actor Henry John Nye Chart turn the theatre’s fortunes around through expansion and renovation, with the help of renowned architect Charles James Phipps.
In 1876, Henry’s wife Ellen Elizabeth Nye Chart took over management, securing the theatre’s reputation as one of the most prestigious outside of London. Introducing matinees and Christmas pantomimes, she became one of the first women theatre managers. By the end of the 19th century, legendary actors such as Sarah Bernhardt and David Garrick had graced the stage, with many more such as Judi Dench appearing in the following century. Henrik Ibsen premiered a UK production of A Doll’s House at the venue, sparking its use as a pre-West End venue for new plays.
The theatre was purchased by ATG in 1999 and continues to host large touring productions and performances from Brighton’s annual Fringe Festival.
Map and directions
Plan your visit
Theatregoers can also book the Ambassador Lounge when booking tickets to access bespoke service including drinks, snacks and washrooms.