Opera House ManchesterManchester
About the Opera House Manchester
The Opera House, Manchester is a Grade II listed building that originally opened in 1912 under the name of the New Theatre. In 1915, the building was sold to United Theatre Ltd and renamed the New Queens Theatre in order to stand a better chance against competitors. Due to the regular performances of Sir Thomas Beecham between 1916 and 1920, the venue was renamed to the Opera House. After the Second World War, the building became a cinema and was later used as a bingo hall before becoming a theatre once more in 1984.
Large touring musicals are often housed at the Opera House, including Barnum, The Phantom of the Opera and The Rocky Horror Show. Following major refurbishments in 2003, the venue continues to host major productions from across the country and from London’s West End. With a seating capacity of 1,920, the Opera House is built across three levels; the Stalls, Circle and Gallery. The Stalls are the largest section, with over 800 seats that offer excellent views. The Circle seats over 500 people and offers good views of the stage due to raked seating. The Gallery is the highest tier and seats over 500 people, offering clear views. Designed by Charles Lovett Gill, the Opera House is an expansive commercial theatre in the heart of busy Manchester.