New Wimbledon Theatre Wimbledon
About the New Wimbledon Theatre
The New Wimbledon Theatre first opened in 1910 in South West London. It is a beautiful Grade II listed Edwardian building and after being refurbished twice, retains its original baroque features.
With a seating capacity of 1,670, the New Wimbledon is the eighth largest theatre in London and has often been used to premiere new musicals before they transfer to the West End. The inter-war and post-war years were hugely successful, and hit shows which first opened at the venue include Lionel Bart’s Oliver! and Half a Sixpence starring Tommy Steele. The theatre has also been a popular filming location, with annual televised Christmas pantomimes such as 2002’s Dick Whittington previously airing on the BBC and ITV.
After falling into financial difficulties in 2003, the New Wimbledon Theatre came under the management of Ambassador Theatre Group. Now well known for delivering a range of family entertainment, touring musicals and an annual pantomime (previous guest stars include Jo Brand, Pamela Anderson and Ross Kemp), it remains one of the most prolific venues in London.
Map and directions
Plan your visit
The Ambassador Lounge package is also available to book when buying tickets online.