Adelphi Theatre London
About the Adelphi Theatre
The Adelphi Theatre is an exceptional example of Art Deco design and is situated directly on the Strand. A theatre has stood on this site since 1806 and the current Adelphi is the fourth incarnation, which opened in 1930 and was designed by architect Ernest Schaufelberg. The theatre re-opened as the Royal Adelphi Theatre with the hit musical Ever Green, written by acclaimed composer and lyricist duo Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart. The Royal was dropped from its name in 1940 and has remained the Adelphi Theatre ever since.
In 1993, the Adelphi was purchased by Andrew Lloyd Webber's Really Useful Group and fully restored prior to premiering the composer's hit musical Sunset Boulevard. Webber also used the theatre to premiere his musical Love Never Dies, a sequel to Phantom of the Opera. Today the Adelphi Theatre is co-owned by Andrew Lloyd Webber's LW Theatres and Nederlander Theatres.
Over the years, the Adelphi Theatre has played host to many major new musicals and revivals, including Chicago, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Waitress, and the Olivier Award-winning musical Kinky Boots. The Adelphi is currently the home of the smash-hit musical adaptation of Back to the Future.