About the Novello Theatre
The Novello Theatre dates back to 1905, when it originally opened as the Waldorf Theatre. Built as a twin to the Aldwych Theatre, they bookend the famous Aldwych. Throughout the 20th century, the venue was known as the Strand Theatre until it was renamed in 2005 to honour musician Ivor Novello who lived in a flat above the theatre. The Novello was home to the RSC for a while before housing Mamma Mia! since 2012.
Built in a traditional Victorian style, the theatre has a classic façade. Constructed over four levels, the auditorium seats over 1,000 people, with the majority of seats in the Stalls. The auditorium is narrow and thin, with shorter rows making it feel very high. The best seats are in the well-raked Stalls, which have no obstructions.